The factory LS oil pump suffers from cavitation above 6,200 RPM, which results in a drop in oil flow of nearly 1 GPM by 7,000 RPM.
This cavitation can also aerate the oil, which causes drops in oil pressure and can result in oil starvation.
This is why we do not recommend shifting any higher than 6,200 RPM with a stock engine.
Engines that run at RPM's above 6,200 should use an upgraded Melling pump to prevent these issues.
The Melling M295 pump is a stock pressure, stock volume pump that is suitable as a replacement for the factory oil pump and offers improved resistance against cavitation at higher RPMs.
This pump should not be used with engines that feature Active Fuel Management (AFM).
Engines with AFM require a higher flow pump. See Melling part number 10355.
Features and Benefits
- Stock volume with a stiffer bypass spring for a 10% maximum oil pressure increase over stock
- CNC machined and hard anodized cast aluminum housing
- CNC machined and phosphate coated iron cover
- Stock oil pressure spring also included
- Uses stock 1-1/4" bolt on screen/pick-up tube
- GM GEN III & IV LS and Vortec engines without AFM/DOD, including:
- Gen III LS blocks LS1, LS6
- Gen IV LS blocks LS2, LS3
- Gen III Vortec 4800 LR4, LM7
- Gen III Vortec 5300 LM7, L59, LM4, L33
- Gen III Vortec 6000 LQ4, LQ9
- Gen IV Vortec 4800 LY2, L20
- Gen IV Vortec 5300 LH8, LH9
- Gen IV Vortec 6000 L98, L96, LY6, L9H
- Gen IV Vortec 6200 L92, L9H